Friday, August 26, 2011

My own breathing Ken Doll (without the ascots and high prices)

I will be the first to admit that I kind of have a problem when it comes to my kid and his clothes.  Ever since Noah was a baby I would lay his clothes out and then re-think the outfit depending on where we were going and put together something different.  Now that he is older, he pretty much wears what he wants (sometimes with a little guidance from momma).    I love to shop for him and sometimes am very frustrated by the fact that girls have a section the size of Texas in a store but boys get what is the equivalent of Rhode Island.  Really Not Fair.  I believe John was glad when Noah arrived and it took the pressure off of him a little.  I've been known to look at him and his choice of duds and say, Umm, really in my voice that he knew meant, I can't believe we are going to _____ and you have chosen that outfit.  I have tried to throw out the the crappy tees and jeans but it's as if he has a sixth sense when I have packed this stuff up and finds it.   If you know John in person he doesn't think there is anything wrong with a pair of Real Wear jeans from Rural King and a Case IH tee shirt a pair of work boots and he's ready to walk out the door.  Scary.    


So, back to Noah.  I love to shop for him.  Seriously cannot get enough of it.  But  I only buy for him in the off season.  I have been lucky enough he's never outgrown anything before he has had a chance to wear it.  I love the quality of the brand names but am not a fan of the Ralph Lauren, Gap and Nautica full prices.  No way am I going to pay for Noah a shirt that has jockey on a horse the same I gave for a pair of shoes for me.  It kills me to see $59 shirts for him.  Or $49.99 for a pair of jeans.   So I wait it out.  And that is how I scored six Ralph Lauren shirts for $39.89 and Gap jeans for $3.99 a pair.  One of the shirts alone was originally $65.50.  And during that same shopping spree I scored some shorts for next summer along with two pairs of swim trunks and an outfit he can wear for Easter. I know someday I won't be able to do this as I am sure he will outgrow something before he gets a chance to wear it.  And I know that he isn't always going to want mom's advice.  And God forbid the day he wants to shop in Hollister or Abercrombie where the noise level alone makes me cringe from OUTSIDE the store (yes, I sound like a Grandma here).  But for now I love having my little Ken doll who I hope someday when he grows up keeps the fashion sense his momma is trying to instill upon him.  I want a son who doesn't think it's ok to wear jeans and work boots to a wedding or to a funeral (sadly I have seen both!).  I think he'll be ok...that is of course as long as daddy stays away from Noah & his closet!!!  :) :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment